1.19.2010

Return to ACTIONville.

Hello!

After spending the last 4 months being surrounded by Yankees, I've begrudgingly returned to my hometown. I forgot how quaint and full of character our downtown is. I actually confused myself the other day calling it 'uptown,' seeing as I live south of the heart of the city. I had forgotten that in Jacksonville, the urban portion is always considered 'downtown,' no matter where you are in relation to it. I think that's kind of backwards. Anyway, our city tries to act like a big kid with its few taller buildings clad in glass staring out over the river, but there are so many surrounding run-down and abandoned buildings holding it back. It's quite a let down actually, with 5 huge colorful bridges (even neon lights!) leading to a half ghost town. Save for Art Walk Wednesdays, our downtown is inhabited by suit wearers on weekdays from 9-5, and other than that it is desolate and sketchy. It used to be quite vibrant, damn the urban sprawl. It has so much potential with its incredible historical architecture and the lovely (but polluted) St Johns (which ALSO has potential...).


Our tallest buildings at the center of the city.




"The train to nowhere that no one rides." - Ron Mans
a.k.a. Jacksonville's idea of public transportation that was expensive to build and is inconvenient to commuters, the Skyway.


I'm excited there are beginning to be more independent businesses opening. I feel this one in particular captures Jacksonville's antiquated feel.



I think this is an old conveyor belt attached to an abandoned industrial building, there are loads just like this.



Two of our bridges, the Hart (at top) and the Main St.

One day I'm going to come back and open a coffee shop. Hopefully by then it will have grown up a little more and there will be Skyway riders with places to ride to.

No comments:

Post a Comment